Sunday Potlucks

Monday, January 29, 2007

Glorious sprouts

I love Brussels Sprouts. I liked them as a kid, back when my mom boiled or steamed the hell out of those "tiny cabbages." I gained a mature appreciation of them shredded into leaves and braised in stock, or quartered and sauteed with bacon and shallots. And then about a month ago, when my sister was in town, I swooned over a dish we had at a nearby restaurant, Firefly. So for last night's Sunday Dinner (theme: Down-Home Cookin'), I made Glorious Sprouts:

- Clean, trim, and quarter about a pound of sprouts. If they're small, you can just half them.
- Toss with a glug of olive oil and some sea salt. Roast in a hot oven (450 or so) until some of the leaves are charred and the cut surfaces are golden, not white. Give it at least 30 minutes.
- Drizzle a tiny bit of white truffle oil on top, enough to haunt you with its smell.
- Shred some good parmesan on top of that.
- Try not to eat the whole bowl by yourself.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger bernalgirl said...

This is a fantastic recipe, thank you for sharing! My favorite recipe previously had involved carmelizing shallots and braising and yadda yadda, but that dish has been consigned to restaurant ordering, this is the new first choice. So easy and utterly delicious!

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home