Sunday Potlucks

Friday, November 10, 2006

Mexico Night #3: Chicken and Tomatillo Stew

My contribution for the night was premised on host duties and what I had on hand from my CSA box. I knew I needed to keep those burners free, and hey! here's a dozen tomatillos in my produce drawer, which I supplemented at the Alemany farmers market.

This is based on a Rick Bayless recipe I'd made before. The first time I made it, I proceeded exactly as directed. I was suspicious of the recipe; because it's so simple, I assumed it would be quite bland. But even with plain new potatoes, it was lovely.

This time I opted for the slow cooker, sweet potatoes and no banana leaves*, but because I was tripling the recipe, I also added some prepared tomatillo salsa to punch things up a bit... just in case. I've pared the recipe back down to feed a more typical family, but rest assured you can double or triple away. This is great potluck food, or with the ease of the slow cooker, weeknight comfort food, a complete meal with the addition of a butter lettuce-and-radish salad and some good tortillas.

1 jar prepared tomatillo salsa (I prefer Herdez mild to La Victoria, which is more readily available but has a guar-gummy consistency)
1 white onion, cut into 1/4" half-circles
3-4 garnet yams, peeled and cut into 1/4" slices
1/2 cup cleaned cilantro leaves, chopped coarsely
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into ~3" pieces
1 dozen good-sized tomatillos, husked, rinsed and sliced into thin circles
1 7-oz. can rajas de jalapeño in escabeche (Embasa, Herdez or La Costeña are all fine)
Kosher or sea salt

Smooth two tablespoonsful of the salsa over the bottom of the slow cooker. Now layer the remaining ingredients: onions sprinkled liberally with salt, then tubers, cilantro leaves, chicken pieces, a bit more salt, and the tomatillos. Spread sliced jalapenos over all, as liberally as desired, and add 2 tablespoons-full of the escabeche liquid from the can (you will have remaining rajas and carrots, these will keep in the refrigerator for a few weeks -- the rajas are wonderful on a ham and cheese sandwich, while the carrots are good mashed into a vinaigrette).

Place the lid on the slow cooker and program to cook on high for six hours. The dish will hold on the warm setting for another two hours.

*Banana leaves are easily found in most Latino markets, and freeze well. I just didn't have any on hand. Use them to line your pot and you will have a more complex dish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home